thermostat

corolapete

Reaction score

On a 2000 camry xle v6. Someone told me there is cable that is connected to the thermstat chasis as a ground. Is this correct?

User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

There are two grounds in that area one going to a bracket bolted to the valve cover and one going to the transmission. This is on the ES/Avalon 1MZ which for some reason I end up working on not the Camry 1MZ so maybe the non-VVTi engine is a bit different. If anyone will know it's insightbrewery. The 'stat is a bit hard to get to compared to most Toyota's I work on.

corolapete

Reaction score

Looking at this 2 video plus looking in the car I could not find the ground wire.

Streetsleeper

Reaction score

I don’t remember a ground on mine either. I did my 2000 1mz-fe but that was a year ago.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

You're all correct, I just double-checked both my '99 Camry V6 (non-VVT) and my '01 ES300 (VVT): there is a bracket that bolts to the LH head that the small ground attaches to, and the larger ground goes to one of the starter bolts.

'01 ES300:

...and '99 Camry (note the ring terminal-shaped witness mark on the bracket where the ground attached before):

corolapete

Reaction score

You're all correct, I just double-checked both my '99 Camry V6 (non-VVT) and my '01 ES300 (VVT): there is a bracket that bolts to the LH head that the small ground attaches to, and the larger ground goes to one of the starter bolts.

'01 ES300:

...and '99 Camry (note the ring terminal-shaped witness mark on the bracket where the ground attached before):

Thanks for the pic. Its not on the housing but on the bracket.

Look how this guy explained it to me. Not clear at all
The ground wire I am referring to (on a V6) runs from the thermostat housing,

Last edited:
User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

The ground wire I am referring to (on a V6) runs from the thermostat housing, where it bolts on. Follow it from there in the direction of the strut tower. (It pretty much follows the path of the engine torque strut mount) My wire has a quick disconnect just about in the center of its approximate 12 inch length. (I assume it's factory) The "corrosion bubble" I found is hidden from view as it formed under the wires black insulation covering. It formed in the section closest to the thermostat housing.
Are you talking about the passenger side water neck, where the "radiator" cap is? I took a look at the service manual for ground points it's surprisingly poor a few grounds I know the car has are not shown.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Same, I got two diagrams, one for engine room and the other for body; have triangles pointing out where grounds are and they miss the straps.

Are you talking about the passenger side water neck, where the "radiator" cap is? I took a look at the service manual for ground points it's surprisingly poor a few grounds I know the car has are not shown.

Streetsleeper

Reaction score

Ill look at my 2000 V6 Camry tomorrow. I did my thermostat but it was a year ago. My older brain can’t remember. I’ll grab some photos

corolapete

Reaction score

found it

Last edited:

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

My instinct with a part number to work with is to dig up the parts diagram www.japan-parts.eu

This is what the guy wrote to me. I did not write it. He told me this will solve my lights flickering. I was just asking here if anyone has seen this ground wire he is talking about.

Here is what he wrote. "The ground wire I am referring to (on a V6) runs from the thermostat housing, where it bolts on. Follow it from there in the direction of the strut tower. (It pretty much follows the path of the engine torque strut mount) My wire has a quick disconnect just about in the center of its approximate 12 inch length. (I assume it's factory) The "corrosion bubble" I found is hidden from view as it formed under the wires black insulation covering. It formed in the section closest to the thermostat housing. "

He gave me a part number too. "The part number of the ground wire is 9008498006."

User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

This is what the guy wrote to me. I did not write it. He told me this will solve my lights flickering. I was just asking here if anyone has seen this ground wire he is talking about.

Here is what he wrote. "The ground wire I am referring to (on a V6) runs from the thermostat housing...
I'm guessing your friend is confusing the water neck with a thermostat housing it does sorta look like one. 90084-98006 is less than $10 at a Toyota dealer not even worth trying to restore the original.
My instinct with a part number to work with is to dig up the parts diagram www.japan-parts.eu
Same. 👍

corolapete

Reaction score

I'm guessing your friend is confusing the water neck with a thermostat housing it does sorta look like one. 90084-98006 is less than $10 at a Toyota dealer not even worth trying to restore the original.

Same. 👍
Thank you .

Last edited:
User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score