5S-FE normal operating temps

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Hey guys, so I've been suspecting since I dropped this engine into beatercam that it runs a bit hot. Trying to get some idea of what regular operating temps should be.

I had my scanner plugged in all day today, graphing coolant temp. 70-72 deg F ambient when I was monitoring, here's what I found out:

- driving 80 MPH on the highway, coolant temp was at 205 deg F (me operating the throttle), 203 deg F (cruise control), and 205-207 deg F (cruise control, A/C on)
- waiting at a stoplight (no A/C), it would creep up to 230 deg F, then the fans would come on and bring it down to 210
- of course cooling is related to engine speed - when I put my foot through the firewall on the highway, temps would rapidly (over 3 or 4 seconds) drop from 203 to 188. Getting back to cruising in 4th let it creep back up to 203

You guys with 5S-FE and live data capability, would like some data on running temps. I'm trying to decide if I should run a flush to deal with any deposits that may be around because the previous owners were running straight tap water. Thanks as usual.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't have and S engine with OBD-II capability. That does seem like a too high temp swing but I don't remember closely monitoring live coolant temps before.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The drop when mashing the throttle is normal, but I think the temp should be closer to 190 on the freeway and 200-205 idling. I think this may also explain the coolant I lose from the overflow bottle (drops over a couple weeks until it gets to a low point, then doesn't drop further. Low point is above the bottom of suck tube).

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

That does seem like a partially clogged system. Dumb thing is the temp gauge in the cluster is "fuzzy logic" enabled it stays in the same place even if there are fairly large temp swings. Don't want to alarm people I guess.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

You hit the nail on the head. On my old Cavalier it didn't have it like that; the needle swung from each mark to the other as the car ran. It was a bit unsettling.

See, 5S-FE cars I had before, the fans turned on with the needle not having moved. This one, when they turn on the needle has moved up about 3mm.

Dumb thing is the temp gauge in the cluster is "fuzzy logic" enabled it stays in the same place even if there are fairly large temp swings. Don't want to alarm people I guess.