Aftermarket proximity sensor install.

paulbot

Reaction score

Finally got around to installing this kit for the wife, did the back 4 sensors, and installed the front, but need a tap for brake lights. I pulled the connector off the brake pedal sensor, probed the 4 pins, blue is 12V+ all the time, red is 12V when pedal is pressed. Plan was to pull the pin out of the harness plug and solder on a wire to run to the black box for when the brakes are applied. Man, I am familiar with unhooking pins from a harness, but this one is giving me fits. I used both a small flat jewelers screwdriver and micro picks to release the tab, but not having any luck. From what I can see, which isn't much contorted under the dash, it's should be just press the pin tab down, pin should slide out plug. Any tips?

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I make my own pin remover by modifying a jewelers screwdriver, mainly making it thinner and less tapered. I wonder if there is a kit out there, anyone know?

paulbot

Reaction score

When trying to look up a schematic on that plug I saw they do make a tool for that and instructions how to make your own. I'll try to find it again.

edit- There's a whole section on the various plugs used by Toyotas, about midway down from this link- Camry Electrical Diagram
terminaltool.PNG.

They do make tools for this, even sets. Google " terminal pick set" or "Terminal Release Tool"

Last edited:

paulbot

Reaction score

After getting after it again, I saw I was trying to release the metal tab, when I should have been releasing the plastic tab in the harness.