Automotive LEDs

foxtherouge

Reaction score

You wouldn't be able to use something like this? The way this relay works is by having an adjustable on/off cycle. In theory, you could adapt something like this to the circuit so that the "faster" it flashes it receives power at a faster rate, thus making the fade in and out faster or slower. Or has it been too long since I did any of this and I'm missing something possibly super basic lol

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I can see it being possible to hack that circuit and use it, but the PCB is kinda big (I've taken them apart) I need as small as possible. Here's my circuit in action.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Added a lamp/socket to the wagon corner lights. This is about the limit of the circuity/wiring I can pack into the back of the lamp.

The fade circuit does exactly what I want.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Those are some REALLY interesting looking LEDs man. Glad it works for you.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

The small one I've linked to previously, the one of the left is the best combo of temperature, light output and power draw I've found.
But it has a stupid flaw, the output blinks white-amber white-amber instead of amber, off, amber, off, then back to white when signal turned off. Because of this I decided to pull the base off (this is not easy) and found the 8-pin chip had two legs soldered together, on a hunch I remove the solder blob and it became a proper switchback. Not a fluke, the other one was the same way. So I can't recommend it.

What's especially odd is the exact same board/circuit is used in many switchback bulbs, but without the two pins soldered together. I have no idea why they did this.

The one on the right is 3-4 years old has been reliable, don't think that style is made anymore. The copper you see is not part of the bulbs, I am using that (plumbing hardware) as a way to house the 1157 socket.