Blue Bomber Build

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Only thing left is the Power Steering pump and the shifter cables. Everything else is disconnected and the wire harness is pushed back toward the windshield. I am taking my time with everything so I don't break anything and so I don't forget where things go. Plus not gonna lie, this is killing my back reaching over. Oh well.

To be expected at this point, but the EGR valve has maybe half it's opening left. There is a LOT of crud in this thing.

Intake is FILLED with crud as well. Going to need a good cleaning when it comes off.

The backside of the Throttle is bad. Really bad.

The crud is as thick as the throttle plate itself, jeeze.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I disabled the EGR on all my old cars, I know I'm a terrible person.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Haven't seen crud that bad in a minute. I used to scratch up the throttle plate but I find that sometimes contributes to future buildup. What I recommend is if you can find somebody who can vapor blast (I know, I know, I talk about this a lot. It's magical) the whole thing clean as it'll polish the bore and throttle plate really nicely. Going to do it on beatercam when I take off the throttle body at the next cleaning, in the meanwhile I'll dig up a spare Suzuki TB I have and post a pic.

Last edited:

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

You live in motorcar utopia I don't have access to the same services or at least not for reasonable prices. 😑

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Haven't seen crud that bad in a minute. I use to scratch up the throttle plate but I find that sometimes contributes to future buildup. What I recommend is if you can find somebody who can vapor blast (I know, I know, I talk about this a lot. It's magical) the whole thing clean as it'll polish the bore and throttle plate really nicely. Going to do it on beatercam when I take off the throttle body at the next cleaning, in the meanwhile I'll dig up a spare Suzuki TB I have and post a pic.
Told ya previous owner did not take care of this car very well. I honestly was not expecting anywhere near that much crude. Depending on how it cleans I might just replace it. Who knows what's inside the small vents.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

OK I don't have before pics but as promised, pics of my spare '06 Grand Vitara TB after vapor blasting:

input side:

output side:

close-up of throttle plate:

...blasted clean and polished at the same time. I just have them mask off the water bypass nipples, the plastic gearbox housing, etc. I figure this is better than how I normally clean TBs (with wire brush and carb cleaner). All metal surfaces are smooth; the black spots on the throttle plate are some sort of reaction with the coating that happened in the months this has been sitting. Don't mind the flash rust on the nipples or plate retention screws.

If you can find a shop that has a machine it's well worth it, although somewhat expensive compared to other forms of prep. Machine shops typically won't be able to do this, but a blasting shop or powdercoating shop might be equipped.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

If vapor blasting the same as dustless blasting? I found a place in town that supposedly does vapor blasting next time I have something to clean I'll check them out.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Nah, dustless blasting is where there's a vacuum to prevent plumes and recover the media. Vapor blasting uses water vapor with fine glass (AFAIK) beads, so it polishes and cleans while blasting.

If vapor blasting the same as dustless blasting? I found a place in town that supposedly does vapor blasting next time I have something to clean I'll check them out.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I'll look into this. I'm pretty sure that some of the powder coating places near me can do sand blasting. I may just hand clean it as well since it's not caked on and still a bit wet.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

good illustration here: https://www.vaporblastingequipment.com/wet-blasting/what-wetblasting-guide-vapor-blasting-process

I'll look into this. I'm pretty sure that some of the powder coating places near me can do sand blasting. I may just hand clean it as well since it's not caked on and still a bit wet.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Aluminum parts come out so nice they look painted.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Free rust protection.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I imagine that just removing the crud alone will drop the cars overall weight by hundreds.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I imagine that just removing the crud alone will drop the cars overall weight by hundreds.
One thing I really don't like doing is cleaning up a cruddy transmission takes hours to get it to my standards.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

All I did today was separate the trans from the engine and spent a VERY long time getting the bolts to put this on the engine stand. Tomorrow I will start taking things apart.

This trans is FILTHY inside. I mean FILTHY.

And looks like an excuse to order new mounts!

foxtherouge

Reaction score

So pulling things off the motor begins.

Pulled the Dizzy off and looks like someones been in here at some point going off the gasket. When I removed the valve cover there were spots with RTV.

Pulled the spark plugs. These have maybe 500 miles at most on them. I don't think I have driven that far since I did the plugs but I'm guestimating.

There is an interesting gash in the timing cover.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

The intake had a bunch of oil in it. This is what spilled out just from taking the intake runners off.

Inside the intake ports don't look terrible. Some crud but not a whole lot. The oil came from the two on the left side. The first and third have a fair amount of crud in them, especially the third. Second has a small amount. The fourth doesn't seem to have much at all.

Judging from these pictures I imagine the entire intake runner is coated in this crud.

These two are the ones that had oil come out.