Blue Bomber Build

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Finally the valve cover is off. The nuts holding it on were loose. 3 of them were removable without any tools and the final one I just had to put hte socket itself on it and twist. Part of why I think someone was in there at some point. Inside the cover itself is about what I expected honestly.

It looks like the top of the head is in good order. About normal staining and I don't see any broken teeth on the cams and no real signs of damage.

I had to stop at the timing cover. I cannot for the life of me get the pulley bolt off. I will attack it again tomorrow.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

You talking about the crank bolt?
Yup. It's on tight. Already stopped it from spinning, I put the flywheel bolts back on and braced it against the engine stand and using one of my breaker bars to jam it in place. I'm using a 2 foot breaker bar. I'm probably just tired. I do all this stuff around 3 or 4 am. Currently living off of maybe 4 hours of sleep a night if I am lucky.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

This happened to me I tried several methods none worked eventually I wedged a piece of wood between the block and crank (was removing the oil pan anyway) a pipe/breaker bar did the trick. Be very careful if you try this with the engine on the stand this is a good way to have the stand tip over.

Naturally a big ass impact will work.

Currently living off of maybe 4 hours of sleep a night if I am lucky.
You will get more done if you get proper sleep.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I have debated about just getting a big impact anyway and will probably go that route. As for the stand tipping over, I could only get 3 bolts to line up on the stand so I have it still connected to the crane as well until I can get as much off as possible to reduce weight.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

The Harbor Freight Earthquake is a beast of an impact but since it is cordless the thing is expensive. Smart on keeping the engine lift as a backup.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I am huge on safety. Seen too many things happen. Like when someone tried to lower a Stryker off of jack stands with the crane but did the heavy front side first instead of the rear like your supposed to. Ever see a 20 ton overhead crane jump off it's rails and back onto them with a 18 ton Stryker bounce to the ground? I have. It is...interesting but incredibly scary when the giant crane above you bounces and flexes directly overhead like that. Thankfully no one was hurt and no real damage done.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

When I was swapping the clutch (had engine out) on my '90 V6 had the engine on the stand wanted to rotate more sideways. BIG mistake the engine is top heavy which in retrospect, duh. The bar I was holding started to bend I almost dropped the engine which of course could have been on me.

Yes, safety first. Always.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

@foxtherouge and I were discussing via PM about rear disc brake options. The rear hardware from any 1988-2001 Camry or ES will bolt to the Celica except e-brake cables and of course the rotors are 5 bolt. But otherwise all the hardware is compatible. The unknown is if the 5-bolt rotor can be drilled to work with the 4 bolt hub, I think so but not sure. The GT4 Celica came up, a few years ago I came across one in the yard bought a sold a bunch of parts including the turbo. The rear GT4 engine mount is in my '87 which worked out great since the original Camry mounts were poorly designed and break, looks like the same or nearly the same rear mount as the Camry was used on the Celica.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Still waiting on that money...

Anyway, I started cleaning my engine bay so I had SOMETHING to do while I wait. All I did was scrape with a plastic scraper. Nothing else.

Before:

After

I didn't even realize the middle rear had ridges.

Here is what I scraped off compared to a fresh roll of painters tape:

It weighed about 3 pounds. Talk about weight reduction!

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Lol rocketship!

With no engine, just look at that fender gap. LOOK AT IT!

Got the car off the jack stands so I can move things around my garage and possibly to get the engine bay cleaned up. It's not terribly dirty for the most part but I would rather clean it outside where I can spray things down with a hose, obviously covering all electrical ends and hoses so things don't get wet.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Only thing I can tell you is they are from the early 90's and from the Philippines, or so what I have been able to find about them leads me to believe.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Only thing I can tell you is they are from the early 90's and from the Philippines, or so what I have been able to find about them leads me to believe.
That style wheel looks good on 80's Toyota's for whatever reason would like to find a set like them but 5 bolt of course.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Those wheels look good on every Toyota I've seen them on.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Funny, the 7th gen Celica GTS had almost the exact same wheel (Though 5x100 instead) and I think it looks meh at best.

Picture found on Google:

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

You know what makes that car look way better? Removing the rear spoiler. I did a 2ZZ swap and did a spoiler delete improved the look a lot. Definitely my least favourite Celica generation, so much cost cutting.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Ew no. Spoilerless 7th gens are not good looking unless you put louvers on them. What makes them better looking is either the TRD or the TRD Tsunami kits.