Blue Bomber Build

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

You are more patient than me. For the little stuff I'm fine with taking my time but if I have an engine or transmission to go in it bugs me seeing it not done. :(

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Yes I am very patient but there are reasons why things aren't done pronto. I can only work so long due to injuries. That's why I got out of the Army in the first place. I also had enlisted help but life has a way of pulling them away when needed.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

A while back I commented about how the only rust was on the battery shelf.

So today I cleaned it up with a wire wheel and painted it with paint that seals in rust.

The engine goes in on Sunday so I am doing little things here and there. Today I also installed front coilovers. Man what a difference in size, not counting length of course.

The rears have to wait a few days. I forgot about the rear sway bar link so I am waiting on new ones to come in so I can be a lot less gentle to the old ones. They are torn anyway. Those parts should be here around monday ish, along with a lot of brake stuff. The tire shop I go to also does laser alignments and will set coilovers as well, so they will be set to be close to each other until I drive the 3 miles to the shop when the time comes.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Same deal happened on my '87, the battery seemed fine but I guess it was leaking 'cause it did a number of the battery tray. Those coilovers are way shorter, damn.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Oh this is just from how they shipped them. That would be totally slammed on the Celica. I lengthened them first lol

foxtherouge

Reaction score

My helper didn't show up today which made me sad. But I did put the engine itself in. The trans will go in probably Tuesday as I am busy Monday. Right now I only bolted the engine mount and didn't connect anything yet for just in case when I go to do the trans I need to move things around or even pull the motor out again.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Nice. I hope that PS line works for you, I put an aftermarket in and the pump made noise when cold, used original part fixed the problem.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Front brakes are done. I just need to paint the caliper and bracket which I will probably not do until it's warmer out. Since I do most of my work super early in the morning it's too cold to open the bay door to paint.

The rears are almost done. I want to get the drums turned before I put them back on. I also need to remove half of the sway bar link on each side as they may have had an accident involving a cutting wheel since they didn't want to come off. I have new ones, just have to get the halves that are attached to the sway bar itself off.

Obviously I need to bleed my brakes but I will do that after the engine is in so I have a helper. I just don't feel like doing it by myself.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Still haven't found you a set of parking brake cables so you can dump those evil drum brakes. Some day.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I decided against it. I could use the ones from a Camry and just route them differently to make up for the extra length, but it's not worth the hassle. Since I'm not exactly drag racing this car and will probably cruise pretty easily and keep distance, the drums in the rear should be fine. Especially since all 4 corners are now in like new condition.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I used to think the same until I did the swap. Your call. :)

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Engine and trans are in. I believe everything is connected except wiring and the upper radiator hose. I will finish plugging in all the electrical connections and put on the exhaust manifold probably tomorrow or so.

Also installed a new radiator.

First start won't be until next weekend. Going to finish putting it together and fluids filled over the course of the week. Buddy wants to be there for the first start and I'll be using him to bleed the clutch and brakes anyway.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Excellent! It feels strange seeing a new rad I've yet to see a replacement in the salvage yards they are always original.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

There was nothing wrong with either of my radiators but new is nice.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Is that a Denso? I've had several of them leak 5-6 years later. Denso is not the company they used to be they are currently recalling 2+ million fuel pumps and counting.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

No, it's a Spectra.

Engine is 99.9% complete. There is a ground I don't remember where it goes. I know it connects from the intake manifold but I don't remember where it connects, probably firewall. Fluids go in later, buddy wants to be there for first start so I have to wait a week. I have other things I can do while I wait so no biggie to me.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Between the igniter (or what the igniter is bolted to) and transmission? Is the EGR pipe connected? I once forgot about it engine wouldn't start thought I had royally screwed something up.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Yes the EGR is connected. And the ground wire I put from the intake to the firewall.

Only 2 things left before starting. Bleed the clutch and install the axels. Then the wheels can go back on and started. Already filled with fluids. Flushing the cooling system so its full of distilled water as ai am switching to Toyota Red. Not pink, red.
This weekend my helper is coming again so we can bleed the clutch and he wanted to be there for first start. I will be installing the axels tomorrow as I realized this morning I forgot to get new nuts for them. I will also get BB off of jack stands so I can adjust the coilover height before I have the shop dial them in for me. Then back in the air so I can do the coolant flush.
Its been so long since I have seen BB's eyes light up and man I forgot how nice and bright they are! I used the headlights just to check that at least most of the wiring is correct. That random ground cable I had before I attached to the intake manifold and ran the other end to behind the strut bar on the firewall. Sanded the paint of course.

Once that's all done and Blue Bomber runs and drives again, I still have a lot of stuff to do. Swap seats to the pristine ones I have on the side. Radio and speakers (I took the radio out of here and put it in something else). Rebuild rear parcel shelf as it's over 30 years old and disintegrated when I removed it to get to the shocks. Rebuild trunk cover as well since it is also over 30 years old and not that great. BB needs a new windshield as the one he has is cracked and the one on Cherry is no better. Paint trim so it's a true black again. Build a relay so the top corner lights act as a DRL and turn on with the car and off when the headlights turn on. I am sure I am forgetting something.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

BB needs a new windshield as the one he has is cracked and the one on Cherry is no better.
Are they still available?
Build a relay so the top corner lights act as a DRL and turn on with the car and off when the headlights turn on. I am sure I am forgetting something.
On my '87 this turned out to be fairly complicated, I wanted the DRLs to be on only when the engine is running ended up using the battery charge light as the trigger.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I don't know about OEM windshields, I haven't really looked into it yet. I do know Safelite has them for $369 before tax and disposal, and they'll come to me. I'm going to try to source an OEM one first though as I doubt the Safelite one will have the proper tint color.

As for a relay, it shouldn't be too hard. Tap into the headlight positive. When it's turned on, it will activate the relay shutting power off.