car gauges.

corolapete

Reaction score

I love car guages but have not purchased any because I don't know where to put them. I want mechanical guage not electrical. Guages I want are oil, temp and battery. Those are critical for me. I also don't want to put holes on the dashboard but I don't mind if I have to as long as it looks nice. No room for brackets under the dash. Have been going to toyota car show but I am not impressed with what I have seen. One car that had a nice guage placement is supercharged from the other forum but his gauge is on the dash and if the mechanical guage malfunction it could make a mess on the dash. His guages are electrical which is not my preference. . I love old school autometer gauges, vdo, stewart warner. Anyone here like gauges?

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm planning to put oil temp and trans temp on my A-pillar, but I bought whatever garbage comes with the Derale kits but an Autometer pod. I only went off the gauge diameter so hopefully they fit.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I want to add an oil pressure gauge but can't decide how to do it, mainly placement. Not a fan of A-pillar gauges at all.

corolapete

Reaction score

I have installed mechanical guages before in a 69 camaro. It was really easy. For oil you have a sending unit that goes to the block. I used copper and or plastic sending unit. For Water it is easier the sensor that goes in the block too.
I tried to install an oil guage to the nissan 240sx . It was really easy until I snapped the threaded part that went int he block. I got excited tightening it. I almost had a heart attack. I tried drilling it out but the metal formed into a big piece of something and it blocked the oil from coming out. I got really lucky and I just left it that way. :) I might get the ultraguage. People said they are accurate but I still want mechanical guage

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Thinking of putting in a digital oil pressure gauge to match the cluster there is a blank blank spot (where the PRND2L was) but everyone I've found is round don't know if the circuit board would fit.

cluster.jpg

People said they are accurate but I still want mechanical gauge
Can get a mechanical gauge that uses an electronic sensor, unless that's what you mean.

corolapete

Reaction score

Thinking of putting in a digital oil pressure gauge to match the cluster there is a blank blank spot (where the PRND2L was) but everyone I've found is round don't know if the circuit board would fit.

View attachment 63

Can get a mechanical gauge that uses an electronic sensor, unless that's what you mean.
Mech guage would be old school like fluid running through sending unit. Electrical would be connected to obd port and read out all the value that goes to ecu.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Mech guage would be old school like fluid running through sending unit. Electrical would be connected to obd port and read out all the value that goes to ecu.
I'm talking about a gauge that uses a sending unit threaded into the block, sends an electrical signal to an analog gauge. Like I had in my '81 Toyota Pickup I'll see if I can find a pic of the type of gauge it had.

corolapete

Reaction score

View attachment 63

Guage is really crucial. Saved my butt so many times. I don't like the idiot guage that comes with new car. My corolla got hot ones and lucky I caught it, the idiot guage was already too late when I detected it.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Guage is really crucial. Saved my butt so many times. I don't like the idiot guage that comes with new car. My corolla got hot ones and lucky I caught it, the idiot guage was already too late when I detected it.
Idiot light lives up to its name comes on at about 6psi by then your engine could be cooked! Doesn't take much oil to generate 6psi.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

These are the same as what was in my '81 I don't have the amp meter it must have been missing when I pulled these at the salvage yard.

gauges.jpg

corolapete

Reaction score

These are the same as what was in my '81 I don't have the amp meter it must have been missing when I pulled these at the salvage yard.

View attachment 65
I am not a fan of those. Here is an illustration.
The same with temp guage and of course the volts is just pos and neg.

I love autometers

Last edited:

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Anyone know of a gauge that fits where the clock is? I don't care if it's digital or not. Debated about doing battery gauge there.

My clock is a different green than everything else. And for some reason it likes to get 3 minutes ahead and stay there every time I reset it.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah I hate that boy-racer look but I can't think of many other places that wouldn't be intrusive. You guys are coming up with some good ideas, I'll be watching in case there's a better option

I want to add an oil pressure gauge but can't decide how to do it, mainly placement. Not a fan of A-pillar gauges at all.

corolapete

Reaction score

Ideal would be drill hole in dash. Top of dash or mount under dash. Pillar no experience but it’s a possibility. The old days you get a bracket put 3 gauges and mount under dash with 2 screws. If there is leak you catch it right away. Nowadays under dash is too low. I don’t want to put hole in dash and on top would look funny with sending unit showing in the back.