Dabbing Unicorn

foxtherouge

Reaction score

There is only one Corolla section so I guess I'll put this here. If someone makes another section, please move and delete this portion of the post. Thank you.

Since I am working on my 1990 Corolla DLX I might as well as make a build thread for it. His name is Dabbing Unicorn due to the awesome decal I found.

Bought the car a few years ago. I needed an automatic as all my cars were manual and I have an injury where sometimes my left leg doesn't work so good. So sometimes I want to drive casually. I had no intentions of doing much of anything to this car but man I cant help but modify every car I own. Every. Single. One. Even the wife's Ford ZX2 Deluxe is modded. Anyway, I picked up this 90 Corolla for a measly $800. 3 speed auto, 235,000 on the clock. Stock steelies with new tires on them. Previous owner installed a Pioneer head unit with bluetooth into it but never installed the microphone. He also for some reason replaced the passenger front speaker only. Also claims the car has never been in an accident but he replaced the passenger side fender. Ok then.

The car came with a starting issue. PO replaced the starter and sometimes, especially when it got cold out, it wouldn't start or sometimes you had to hold the key in the start position for a while before it would even turn over. I figured it was the starter contacts as I know that when they are rebuilt that sometimes they aren't torqued right. Well, I never bothered to take the starter out to even look at it. I was replacing the headlights (Previous ones were cracked and yellowed from the inside) when I noticed that the main power wire was a bit loose coming off the fuse box on the battery. Turns out that there was a hole in the loom cover and the wire was completely corroded inside and the fuse panel was held on by a broken pieces of rusted metal that was screwed on. Replaced that and cleaned out the wire as much as I could and have not had a single issue since then starting. Only time it hesitates is when I start and stop several times in a row in a short period, but it's a very slight hesitation.

The next issue was the shocks were sagging and leaking. So they needed to be replaced. I was just going to slap some new shocks on but I found a set of cheap coilovers on ebay. They cost me $150 shipped to my door. At that price point, I cannot complain. They are very stiff for sure. I have had them on the car for about 2 years now and I haven't had any issues with them. When I first got them they had some coil bind but with a little grease in the top hat and some driving around it is gone. 24 way adjustable with front camber plates. Not to bad for $150. When I installed them I had the car so low that I had to go very slow over speed bumps as the ride height was about a quarter of an inch taller than them. I didn't mean to go so low but I was too lazy to fix it until recently. When I installed the coils the rear parcel shelf was so old and brittle it disintegrated when I even looked at it. Going to build a new one out of MDF soon though.

When I replaced the headlights, I had gone to the junk yard to grab a quick set. I had also gotten the Toyota emblem grill as well, so that is nice. I also found clear turn signal covers and ditched the orange ones. All of my lights except my headlights are LED. The interior lights are all blue to match the radio and might as well since the interior is blue as well.

Here it is when I got it and replaced the headlights, grill, and shocks with coils.

There are a few small dings here and there but I will be getting all that sorted out soon enough.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I recently went to the junk yard and was lucky enough to find both a GTS and a SR5. The stock seats in the DLX are not that great to be honest. I was hoping to get the set out of the GTS but for whatever reason the owner had replaced the driver seat with some cheap ebay seat, so the SR5 seats are the ones I got. They are less cushion but due to the lumbar support much better. Also they hold me in the seat a lot better than the stock ones did. I do not have a picture of the seats yet. Maybe later today.

I pulled the spoiler and rear disk brakes off of the GTS. Actually removed my third brake light and wired the spoiler up. Looks great.

I had a set of wheels off of my old MR2 Spyder from a few years ago just sitting around. I had traded with a buddy to make the wheels square as MR2 Spyder wheels are two different sizes. I kept the 15x6 wheels. Installed the rear disks with parking brake cable and got new tires for the wheels. I am running a set of 22mm hubcentric spacers in the back and I have clearance with 0 rubbing. Currently running Toyo Extensa HP II tires at 195/55R15. Great tires so far, I like them. Fronts didn't need any spacers at all. Also, I adjusted the ride height and installed rear mud guards. I would put the front ones on but I'm not sure if I would rip them off or not over speed bumps.

Here is my installing the disk brakes

And here is how it sits right now

Going to be painting the wheels white, the calipers red, and the center caps are going to be black with the Toyota logo being red and the ring around it being white. Going for TRD colors because why not?

foxtherouge

Reaction score

My muffler rusted and broke off right after the flange, so I have a new one coming Tuesday. Nothing fancy, just a Walker direct bolt in. I want this to be fairly quite. I also have some rectangle fogs coming in. Most importantly, a new switch for the fan speed as the one I have only has one working speed.

I have tried a few others from junk yards and each one gives me one fan speed, but each one has a different fan speed. It is annoying.

The dash is pretty cracked here and there, and I don't feel like replacing the entire dash. So I ordered a dash cover as well. New front rotors and brakes going in hopefully next week, just waiting on the rotors themselves. Shipping says they should be here on Wednesday but we'll see. They are just blanks, nothing fancy.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Sharp-looking car. Got a pic of the "awesome decal"?

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Those Celica wheels seem to look good on everything. You guys don't realize how nice it is not to have rust issues.
There is only one Corolla section so I guess I'll put this here.
I renamed this forum all Corolla content will go in here for now.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Sharp-looking car. Got a pic of the "awesome decal"?
It's on the passenger side rear most window. The photos are quite large so you can make it out really easily if you zoom in on the imgur links.

Those Celica wheels seem to look good on everything. You guys don't realize how nice it is not to have rust issues.

I renamed this forum all Corolla content will go in here for now.
Those are MR2 Spyder wheels mate. You're thinking of the 16x6 5x100 wheels the 7th gen GTS had. These are 4x100. Similar style, smaller wheel and different bolt pattern. But I agree, those are great looking wheels.

Forgot to mention two other things I have done to DU. The first was get rid of the crappy wiper stalk and replace it with an intermittent one from an LE. The other is that I installed aftermarket power locks on both front doors. Just haven't gotten around to the rears yet. They came with two fobs and they work wonderfully. Pretty soon I will be doing power windows which is why I stopped at just the front doors for now.

Here is a picture of the seats. I didn't realize how much of a difference in color they are until I looked at the picture. Gonna have to do something about that.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Those are MR2 Spyder wheels mate. You're thinking of the 16x6 5x100 wheels the 7th gen GTS had. These are 4x100. Similar style, smaller wheel and different bolt pattern. But I agree, those are great looking wheels.
You are of course correct the bolt pattern is a small clue. They look extremely similar to Celica 7th gen, I run a set on my wagon
Here is a picture of the seats. I didn't realize how much of a difference in color they are until I looked at the picture. Gonna have to do something about that.
That seat fabric pattern looks almost exactly the same to the euro Camry I once found in the bone yard. The colour looks identical.

....after looking at it for a bit if you got some other brown pieces I think it would look great. Breaks up the monotony of the blue.

Last edited:

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Hey, after driving Cherry around for a while where everything was red, and I do mean EVERYTHING was red, the blue is nice.

I have no idea what I am going to do interior color wise though. Haven't given it much though honestly. I know what I am doing on the outside though.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Got a Walker SoundFX muffler yesterday. I don't recommend it if you care about shipping quality. It came wrapped in plastic wrap and that's it. Got some dings and scratches but thankfully no holes or broken pieces. However, I will say it is significantly quieter than not having a muffler at all. My quest for quite on this car is off to a good start.

I have front rotors and fan control coming in today. Already have front brake pads. Need to order rear rotors and pads. Going to be doing all 4 corners soon. Also will be replacing the speakers and fan control soon as well. I have a valve cover leak and have the kit for it already, just haven't done it yet. And finally, if the weather stays dry for more than 5 minutes I will be building a new rear parcel shelf out of MDF since mine disintegrated.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Got a Walker SoundFX muffler yesterday. I don't recommend it if you care about shipping quality. It came wrapped in plastic wrap and that's it. Got some dings and scratches but thankfully no holes or broken pieces.
The flex pipe I ordered from Amayama came insanely well packed it was in a box in another box then wrapped like crazy took me 10 minutes to unpack. No excuse for poor packing! I have to paint exhaust parts or road salt/splash does a number on them.

Is that muffler "stainless"? The Walker's I've seen rust out fairly quickly even though they are labelled stainless steel.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

It seems like very low grade stainless. While it does rain here a lot we don't salt the roads very much at all and rust is usually a non issue. I mean, it took 30 years and 236,000 miles before the OEM finally broke off and it only had surface rust where it broke, it simply broke due to age and how stiff the ride got when I put coils on it.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

It seems like very low grade stainless. While it does rain here a lot we don't salt the roads very much at all and rust is usually a non issue. I mean, it took 30 years and 236,000 miles before the OEM finally broke off and it only had surface rust where it broke, it simply broke due to age and how stiff the ride got when I put coils on it.
Jealous. Anything winter driven here gets trashed.

I'm a muffler hoarder I have 4 (I think) gen2 Camry OEM mufflers used of course but they are in nice shape. @Phil_Bleach over at TN put in in a Walker it rotted out in a couple of years. On another note wonder why he doesn't post here.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Front rotors came in so I installed front rotors and pads. The drivers side rotor was bad and both of them have a good amount of wear on them. You can see the lip, it's pretty deep. Plus the drivers side was glazed.

Old rotors

Installed

I also installed fog lights. Holy **** is there enough hardware keeping the front bumper on or what?

You have to remove the headlights, turn signals, and side markers just to get to all of them. There are 11 nuts between the headlights alone! Crazy man.

I can't wait until night to see how much of a difference these make. Keeping halogen for front lights. I dunno, there's something about halogen on older cars, it just looks right.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Those signal light lenses look very similar if not identical to the gen2 Camry. Speaking of I tried to order a set on Amayama no longer available I have a cracked one can't find a replacement. Are those Bosch fogs?

That is a lot of fasteners but nothing beats the 1971 Toyota Crown the fender had at least 50 bolts.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Good eye. Those signal lenses are from a Camry. I ditched the orange ones that the Corollas come with. I have a sudo projector LED bulb and they are incredibly bright so having orange lenses was pointless and don't look as good.

The fogs are from Baja, same company that made the fogs that I use on Blue Bomber and Cherry. Just rectangle instead.

These are the bulbs:

EDIT: Those are also the bulbs I use for the red brake lights on the Corolla. I have some for the Camry as well, just haven't put them in yet as they cause the light on the dash to turn on. Gonna remove that bulb....

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Don't get bitten by the LED bug or you'll go down an never ending path. I have some fogs to put on my wagon but haven't yet because I need to find a way to protect them they are quite rare. Any ideas?

foxtherouge

Reaction score

All of my lights on all of my cars are LED. I usually do HID for headlights but on the Camry I didn't feel like doing a retrofit and the LED bulbs I put in were adjustable so pretty good. This Corolla is going to stay Halogen for headlights unless I decide to change the housings to clear and then they will get projector and HID.

Hard to give ideas on how to protect your fogs without knowing what kind of roads the car travels. You might be able to get away with putting a clear film over the fogs to give it a "softer" and more durable surface. Like a screen protector on a phone. If you go off road with it at all, then you will want cages to prevent the bigger rocks and sticks. Fogs are hard to protect honestly. They always make them out of easy to chip and break glass for some reason.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Fogs are made of high temp glass which makes them harder but chip easier. The fogs will see winter conditions so rocks hitting them is a sure thing. I have several sets of yellow and white H3 HIDs they were originally made for some Acura that required a very short bulb so they'll fit in most fog housings.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score