Electric shift or manual, how to know?

89CamryLEblue

Reaction score

How do you tell whether your automatic tyranny is electric or manual shift?

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

ECT switch on the center console. Note: Some 1990.5+ models have electronic shift but no ECT switch on those models would need the VIN to know what it has. If you want to know by looking at the transmission there will be a disc shaped sensor/plate near the torque converter with wires and a connector running out of it.

89CamryLEblue

Reaction score

ECT switch on the center console. Note: Some 1990.5+ models have electronic shift but no ECT switch on those models would need the VIN to know what it has. If you want to know by looking at the transmission there will be a disc shaped sensor/plate near the torque converter with wires and a connector running out of it.
Yes, I was trying to figure it out from the transaxle that I got to put in my 89 that is an electric shift and I wasnt sure if this 87 tran from junkyard was the right one.

89CamryLEblue

Reaction score

Yes, I was trying to figure it out from the transaxle point of view. I got an 89 camry that is an electric shift and I wasnt sure if this 87 tran from junkyard was the right one.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

If you post a picture I can tell you, specifically the side that faces the firewall when mounted in the car.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Took a bit of searching found a pic the ECT versions have a torque converter speed sensor like this. Not sure what year this is maybe 1993 but you get the idea

a140e.jpg