Glass Cleaners

CamGuy01

Reaction score

Hi Everyone - I thought I'd liven things up around here a bit by starting a discussion about Glass Cleaners. I have used a number of Glass Cleaners over the years and have never been 100% happy with them. The one thing that frustrates me about every Glass Cleaner I have ever used is that they leave a film on the glass and then I have to go back and clean it off which I think sort of defeats the purpose of a Glass Cleaner.

I have used everything from Windex, Windex with Ammonia to the fancy high dollar Glass Cleaners like Meguiar's and Invisible Glass both of which have alcohol in them. My current fav is the Sprayway Glass Cleaner which is a aerosol as opposed to a liquid which most are. I have noticed that the majority of Glass Shops I have been around tend to use aerosol Glass Cleaners and I like the Sprayway and plan to keep it around for a while which brings me to my question. Why do Glass Cleaners leave a film on the glass that I have to go back and wipe off? Again to me this sort of defeats the purpose of a Glass Cleaner to begin with. I use clean clothes mostly cotton bar type towels that you can buy at Walmart 3 for $2.98. They are large enough to do a variety of jobs and they are cotton which I like. I am not a fan of the micro-fibre clothes that everyone seems to be so in love with. To me they leave streaks and are are more coarse than cotton towels plus they cost more.

So what gives everyone? What is going on with Glass Cleaner that it can't do the job right the first time and why do I have to always go back a second time and wipe the film off the glass that the cleaners leave behind. Opinions are appreciated. Thanks all :)

Last edited:

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I use Sprayaway as well but don't follow the directions. If I spray on the glass itself, it always streaks and leaves behind film. I spray it onto a blue paper towel, the mechanics kind from Harbor Freight. I got it due to it being ammonia free which you need for tinted windows since ammonia eats tint. I don't like the smell though, so I usually air out my car for a while after using it.

The spray I use:

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

+1 on both of you, that's what I do as well. Sprayway on nice, blue shop towels.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I've seen it around never tried it. For cleaning technique I've tried microfiber, power towels, shop towels, specialty glass microfiber towels, still leaves stuff behind. It does help to squeegee away the cleaner before drying/buffing. When wiping down body parts to prep for primer or paint they always say to go in one direction, flip the rag then discard it. Not to move around randomly this just spreads whatever is on the surface. Same technique for glass.

You know what leaves a film on the glass? Interior protectants like 303, it evaporates and dries on the glass. Anyone try shaving cream on glass? Supposedly there is a surfactant that prevents streaking and fogging.

CamGuy01

Reaction score

I use Sprayaway as well but don't follow the directions. If I spray on the glass itself, it always streaks and leaves behind film. I spray it onto a blue paper towel, the mechanics kind from Harbor Freight. I got it due to it being ammonia free which you need for tinted windows since ammonia eats tint. I don't like the smell though, so I usually air out my car for a while after using it.

The spray I use:
I'll tell you guys a little secret. The Sprayway that most people buy for cars is in the Automotive section of the store, has the plastic top with the built-in trigger and sells for $5 or $6 a can. if you go over to the Grocery Section in the area where they sell mops, brooms, bathroom cleaners, air fresheners, etc. you get the exact same product and save $3 per can. The ONLY difference is that it has a regular spray nozzle not a trigger but to me that is worth saving $3.00.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I'll tell you guys a little secret. The Sprayway that most people buy for cars is in the Automotive section of the store, has the plastic top with the built-in trigger and sells for $5 or $6 a can. if you go over to the Grocery Section in the area where they sell mops, brooms, bathroom cleaners, air fresheners, etc. you get the exact same product and save $3 per can. The ONLY difference is that it has a regular spray nozzle not a trigger but to me that is worth saving $3.00.
The one I linked is $2.88 and is in the Automotive section. The stuff in the grocery section contains Ammonia which eats through tint. o_0