Holy...

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

...no IS section so thought I'd bitch about it here.

I just broke two ratchets trying to get the crank bolt off on this gen1 IS300 I'm doing a TB on. My Wera stripped teeth, and then I foolishly tried a 40-yo Craftsman that folded faster than a house of cards.

I got a 3/4" F-to-1/2" M adapter coming so I can use my giant 3/4" breaker bar. Normally, I keep that for torquing BMW N62 crank bolts (stretch bolt, torqued to approximately 425 ft-lbs).

The timing belt was 20K over, and outside layer had separated along almost the whole length from the inside layer. He got real lucky.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

That's happened to me, had a bolt that was so stubborn I had to remove the oil pan and stop the crank from turning. Several other shops had tried to remove the bolt and failed.

What's a Wera? Wera tools? Never heard of them.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

German pro-grade tool brand. I've got a lot of Wera (easily available through Amazon and equivalent) and Hazet (also German, not so easily available but OMG do they make and rebrand some nice stuff).

I'm going to do the valve covers, plugs, wires, coil connectors, and a few bits and bobs thereabouts while I wait 'til Friday to get the reducer adapter. I should look up the plug that it came with from the factory...waste spark, and I've been putting in NGK 4589 (single-ground iridium) because that's what RockAuto says is the OE part (really?).

That's happened to me, had a bolt that was so stubborn I had to remove the oil pan and stop the crank from turning. Several other shops had tried to remove the bolt and failed.

What's a Wera? Wera tools? Never heard of them.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Waste spark is such a stupid idea how much money did Lexus really save? Speaking of Craftsman I have a set of their V-series ratchet I love the things, won't put massive force on them because they can't be replaced. Well once I did and stripped the 1/2" but found a rebuild kit on Ebay the handle itself is forged and difficult to damage.

Rockauto will say anything is an OE part if it physically fits in the hole lol.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I think GTE engines have full CoP, no? Or is it the same waste-spark

Yeah I feel the same way about the Weras, they're great and the warranty is decent. I only see OE listings for RockAuto if it's NGK/Denso/sometimes ACDelco/Autolite. And not for all manufacturers, but they're usually pretty spot on

I just checked, yeah, the 4589 is equivalent to the OE Denso plug, I think they just derate them to 75K from the usual 100K because waste-spark

Waste spark is such a stupid idea how much money did Lexus really save? Speaking of Craftsman I have a set of their V-series ratchet I love the things, won't put massive force on them because they can't be replaced. Well once I did and stripped the 1/2" but found a rebuild kit on Ebay the handle itself is forged and difficult to damage.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I think GTE engines have full CoP, no? Or is it the same waste-spark
On the Supra for sure it has 6 coils so I'd assume on Lexus would be the same.
I just checked, yeah, the 4589 is equivalent to the OE Denso plug, I think they just derate them to 75K from the usual 100K because waste-spark
Denso 3353 is what what the car came with I think. I'd be temped to try a dual electrode plug.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

All the Lexuses are non-turbo, never seen one without waste-spark. Yeah, the 3353 is equivalent to NGK 4589, I already have 4589 for this car otherwise I'd try it. Next one.

On the Supra for sure it has 6 coils so I'd assume on Lexus would be the same.

Denso 3353 is what what the car came with I think. I'd be temped to try a dual electrode plug.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Never really thought about it but you're right. The original SC would have been awesome with the twin turbo. Checking out Wera on Amazon they have a huge selection.
All the Lexuses are non-turbo,
edit - I don't need any tools but I want this set

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah it would have. Although I'm partial to the 1UZ more than the 2JZ in any flavor.

I bought a few Weras, all from Amazon...1/2" 3/8" 1/4" ratchets, feel great to use; also have their ratcheting screwdriver, which feels good and has the bits stored inside the pop-out handle, like the can of Barbasol from Jurassic Park, lol.

LOL a major retailer that holds a yearly sales event screwed up when I ordered a Wera 3/8" during that time, and shipped me four 3/8" ratchets. One in my portable toolbox, one in my rolling toolbox, one spare, and I gave one to Kingdom when he visited (ugh, confiscated by airport security).

Their sockets are great, typical super-precise German tools. IMO Hazet tools are better but those are significantly more expensive. If you do want to check those out though:

Hazet catalog: https://www.hazet.de/en/products/

A retailer I've used in the past: https://handtools-from-germany.com/

In other news, I got in the 3/4"-to-1/2" reducer. This is what happened:

...I'm going to order Lisle's heavy 22mm crank socket and apply heat before using that. Perhaps some douche put Loctite on the threads.

Never really thought about it but you're right. The original SC would have been awesome with the twin turbo. Checking out Wera on Amazon they have a huge selection.
edit - I don't need any tools but I want this set

corolapete

Reaction score

There are people who are loyal to rockauto. I don't get it.

corolapete

Reaction score

Yeah it would have. Although I'm partial to the 1UZ more than the 2JZ in any flavor.

I bought a few Weras, all from Amazon...1/2" 3/8" 1/4" ratchets, feel great to use; also have their ratcheting screwdriver, which feels good and has the bits stored inside the pop-out handle, like the can of Barbasol from Jurassic Park, lol.

LOL a major retailer that holds a yearly sales event screwed up when I ordered a Wera 3/8" during that time, and shipped me four 3/8" ratchets. One in my portable toolbox, one in my rolling toolbox, one spare, and I gave one to Kingdom when he visited (ugh, confiscated by airport security).

Their sockets are great, typical super-precise German tools. IMO Hazet tools are better but those are significantly more expensive. If you do want to check those out though:

Hazet catalog: https://www.hazet.de/en/products/

A retailer I've used in the past: https://handtools-from-germany.com/

In other news, I got in the 3/4"-to-1/2" reducer. This is what happened:

...I'm going to order Lisle's heavy 22mm crank socket and apply heat before using that. Perhaps some douche put Loctite on the threads.
Don't you have harbor in your area? LOL

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Oh lol. I actually did, but only to get a 1/2" ratchet to replace my shop manager's ancient Craftsman that I stripped out (the teeth were already worn, he was real happy with the extensible ratchet). Also got free flashlight...

I saw that they have 3/4" socket sets but nothing with a 22mm. I'll update when the Lisle socket comes in Tuesday.

yes indeed. You get free flashlights there. LOL

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Welp, learned something today from the Tekton rep: impact-rated adapters are weaker than standard chrome in non-impact usage. Time to research the alloys and learn something more...

Tomorrow, MAPP torch and Lisle 22mm HB socket.