I can't find decent front brake rotors for my car

User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

This is ridiculous, need front brake rotors for the silver 1990 car has ABS so NOT the smaller rotors they must be 277mm diameter. Rockauto has them but only in the economy brand. There are a few dodgy sellers in Canada that sell only brake products reviews are mixed at best. Centric makes a front/rear kit which I'm sure are okay but they are not painted. All I want is a good quality coated rotor, do they exist?

You'd think I'm driving a 50 year old Ferrari or something, scratch that would probably be easier to find rotors.

Anyone have experience with these companies?

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I have not heard of any of those companies. And are you sure it's 277mm? I found a lot of 275mm rotors.

User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

And are you sure it's 277mm? I found a lot of 275mm rotors.
Yes, thickness is 25mm. 6th gen Celica rotors are 275mm x 28mm, they rub I've tried. Not many choices for the 6th gen Celica either.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Celica? Not Camry? A 1990 would be 5th gen.

User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

6th gen Celica front rotors are almost the same as gen2 Camry with ABS. Almost. 5th gen Celica has the same diameter as gen2 Camry without ABS, but rotor is 22mm thick.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Oh I see what you were saying.

What about from a Lexus of some sort? I checked the ES 300 and it has the same 275mm that the Camry had. RX 300 was bigger.

User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

1992+ is 5x114.3 bolt pattern instead of 5x100. There is a narrow range of years/models that used the 277mm rotors. Guess my choices are peasant rotors or take a chance on the boutique ones which have slots/drilled or at least slotted.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Oh yeah, summit isn't very safe at all. But Stoptech is. I just linked it to what I found with quick little searches is all. Now you know what to go for though :D

User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I can't find those Stoptech's for a reasonable price will probably go with a 4-wheel zinc coated slotted set and hope they are decent. It's either that or get the low end generic unpainted rotors. I'd rather not have slotted or drilled or slotted/drilled just plain flat rotor with rust prevention coating.

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score

I'm not sure what rotor "height" is, but they're also different between the two you linked. I suspect its related to the spacing from the mounting flange to the friction surface.
I suspect that's how you got to the Subaru, but maybe you could start with cars that came with that BCD and work from there to find a rotor which fits?

Otherwise I think Baron mentioned something about a Tundra BBK a while back - I can try to scrounge that info up if you want.

User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I know the 4Runner caliper does not fit (same part as the Tundra I think) I tried, even though Baron mentioned it did. The twin pot ES300 calipers paired with 6th gen Celica caliper brackets also do not fit even though the bolt spacings end up being good, the bracket hits the caliper.

The rotor height in this case is the bore sometimes the listings mislabel things. The 7th gen Celica and a bunch of Corolla rotors are almost correct but the specs say the bore is 2mm larger. I am wondering if this is actually the case why would Toyota change a spec by 2mm. I was at Pick N Pull a few days back there were a few 7th Celica's but all the rotors were gone otherwise I would have bought one as a fitment test. I've pretty much given up since everything available is either super expensive (if I can find it in Canada at all) or is slotted/drilled which won't last worth a damn. Looks like I will have to get the cheapo rotors and coat them myself.

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score

Ahh ok. That's too bad about the 4runner calipers. I found the note, he claimed 2000 4Runner calipers w/ 2013 BRZ rotors. The center bore on those is 56.1. I found this post: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265631 which claims that the base model BRZ in other markets got 276 x 24mm rotors. But the center bore is still incorrect...

Anyway, why not measure the lip on the hub that the rotor fits over? At the J/Y I mean.

User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

foxtherouge

Reaction score

For a rotor? No, but I have for a set of wheels. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

User Is Online
User Is Online

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

The ring has to be made so it is basically the same thickness of the rotor or the wheels won't bolt up. Kinda a strange solution.

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score

I don't see why it wouldn't work - I think the hard part would probably be holding on to it while you face it down.