insightbrewery Mechanic Adventures!

foxtherouge

Reaction score

On that 04 WRX check the fittings on the power steering hose and check the hose itself. They go bad. Super common.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

How many miles on the Subaru? Everyone I've seen had either blown HG's or signs of leakage. Wait is this a turbo engine?

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

On that 04 WRX check the fittings on the power steering hose and check the hose itself. They go bad. Super common.
Most definitely; it's got a weep from the pressure hose at a crimp, gotta run that by the owner. What I've run into in the past is a slit that forms in the suction hose, which then sucks in air under load. This one's good on that, seems to be leaking from some body seal and weeping from the suction union o-ring.

How many miles on the Subaru? Everyone I've seen had either blown HG's or signs of leakage. Wait is this a turbo engine?
150K, right around when the EJ20T blows head gaskets. Yeah it's a turbo. I've been trying to convince the owner for several months to sell it to some vapebro, since apart from UV damage to the cargo cover and the stuff I'm addressing, it's in mint condition. Shifts and drives like brand-new.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

150K, right around when the EJ20T blows head gaskets. Yeah it's a turbo. I've been trying to convince the owner for several months to sell it to some vapebro, since apart from UV damage to the cargo cover and the stuff I'm addressing, it's in mint condition. Shifts and drives like brand-new.
Thought the turbo engines had MLS gaskets? I don't know much about Subaru's I do know I am not a fan of the flat 4 engine sound/tone.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Some other design flaw/oversight causes them to blow head gaskets every 150K or so like 3VZs.

Thought the turbo engines had MLS gaskets? I don't know much about Subaru's I do know I am not a fan of the flat 4 engine sound/tone.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

That power steering hose is a very particular hose and can be hard to come by. The ones off of a non-turbo motor is different even though the pump and steering rack are the same. Not sure on STI to WRX compatibility. I played this game with a buddy that had an 04 WRX.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Boring: finished my fleet customer's timing belt on that '06 Highlander. Pics later, but @71Corolla I took to vapor-blasting all sprockets to prevent the timing belt whine. At 210K (6K away) when I do several service items on beatercam, I'm going to do its sprockets as I'll be in there replacing the oil pump (the engine seems to have TB whine).

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Hey I never thought of doing the vapor blast on the cam gears that's an awesome idea.