Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Don't think I've seen this before.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Lol Wranglers have been doing that for decades now. Where I live they are relegated to bro-truck duty, pristine and never seeing any offroad. The typical owner I hope is aware of the risks and hopefully didn't buy them for safety.

Although I hear Chrysler is scrambling to revise them for this "issue." I wonder how the new Gladiator holds up, I've been seeing a lot of those lately. I seem to remember they had a welding issue or something.

Lol the safety issue reminds me of when I put my very first daily driver ('99 Chevy Cavalier) up for sale. Got a reply from some dad from the parts of Cali that nobody cares about (basically farmland, hilbilly-town)...admittedly it felt like he was trying to do the right thing for his daughter's first car. That gen Cavalier was well-known for being unsafe if T-boned (2 stars out of 5), and he kept telling me about how he did his research and chose the Cavalier because it was "very safe and I am concerned for my daughter." I dunno where he got his data from. Luckily his daughter wanted a slightly newer Civic like all her friends had (much safer car) and he passed on it.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Lol Wranglers have been doing that for decades now. Where I live they are relegated to bro-truck duty, pristine and never seeing any offroad. The typical owner I hope is aware of the risks and hopefully didn't buy them for safety.

Although I hear Chrysler is scrambling to revise them for this "issue." I wonder how the new Gladiator holds up, I've been seeing a lot of those lately. I seem to remember they had a welding issue or something.

Lol the safety issue reminds me of when I put my very first daily driver ('99 Chevy Cavalier) up for sale. Got a reply from some dad from the parts of Cali that nobody cares about (basically farmland, hilbilly-town)...admittedly it felt like he was trying to do the right thing for his daughter's first car. That gen Cavalier was well-known for being unsafe if T-boned (2 stars out of 5), and he kept telling me about how he did his research and chose the Cavalier because it was "very safe and I am concerned for my daughter." I dunno where he got his data from. Luckily his daughter wanted a slightly newer Civic like all her friends had (much safer car) and he passed on it.
Aw man, my wifes first car was a 97 Cavalier. I did NOT feel safe in that thing at all. I could feel the chassis flex. You know it's bad when I felt safer in my 86 Celica (My first one, aww) with NO airbags and NO crumplezones than I did in that Cavalier.

I showed her the safety ratings for her car when my engine blew (Couldn't afford to get a new engine or rebuild as it was a 2se and hard to come by, sold my first Celica for way more than I bought it for though) and then the ratings on a 7th Gen Celica. Needless to say, we traded in her Cavalier for the Celica haha.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah it wasn't great, chassis too heavy and badly designed. Although I do sometimes want to lurk in a Toyota Cavalier forum, to see how they do with the captive imports over there.

Mine was also a poverty-spec coupe: no power anything (thankfully A/C but didn't work when I bought it), GM 2200 pushrod motor, 3-speed auto (no O/D). Bought it from a little old lady in Willow Glen's (affluent neighborhood in San Jose) gardener; she screwed up her investments and had to pay him with the car. Was falling apart at 79K. The one thing it had going for it was that the engine and transmission were bulletproof. Cockroach-like tenacity.

Over the course of two years of ownership I basically restored that to showroom condition ("showroom Cavalier" lol); it was the nicest Cavalier you ever did see and I got everything working. Perfectly maintained under me, and couldn't do better than 18 MPG because no overdrive (my '01 Cadillac DeVille, with nearly 3x the HP and 1.5x the weight, did better). Sold it to a friend's girlfriend's mother for $1600; she was illegal and got amnesty, wanted to buy a car with her first legit tax return. Says something about the state of cars in Mexico that she looked at my (admittedly "perfect") Cavalier and fell in love with it. https://jalopnik.com/nissan-will-finally-stop-building-the-1992-sentra-in-me-1788243196

Friend told me a year later that her daughter (girlfriend's little sister) was coming back from a party drunk and slammed it into a highway divider at 40 MPH. Head-on, which got better ratings than the side-impact...but as for the car, cracked block, transmission, snapped one axle, totaled. I got mad, thinking about all the work I put into making that car perfect. I miss every car that I've owned or currently own, but when I think about the Cavvy...I really did not enjoy driving that PoS. beatercam shits all over it in every metric.

Aw man, my wifes first car was a 97 Cavalier. I did NOT feel safe in that thing at all. I could feel the chassis flex. You know it's bad when I felt safer in my 86 Celica (My first one, aww) with NO airbags and NO crumplezones than I did in that Cavalier.

I showed her the safety ratings for her car when my engine blew (Couldn't afford to get a new engine or rebuild as it was a 2se and hard to come by, sold my first Celica for way more than I bought it for though) and then the ratings on a 7th Gen Celica. Needless to say, we traded in her Cavalier for the Celica haha.