Reverse lights not working

Silent Runner

Reaction score

Hi gang, just wondering about figuring out how to fix my reverse lights. I’ve checked fuses and bulbs, as well as the old wiring harness for the trunk lights. I’ve found the reverse lights switch on the transmission, but I can’t figure out how to get it out and clean it. Also I’ve heard there is some wiring or switching thing to the floor shifter, if anybody can fill me in on that I’d love to hear. I should add that this is a V-6 LE automatic model.

Last edited:

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Backup lights are controlled by the neutral safety switch on the transmission, eventually the grease dries out and prevents proper contact that is likely your problem. Sounds like a job for me. 😬 Maybe one of these weekends you can swing by and we'll get it done.

Silent Runner

Reaction score

Sure! I think I found the neutral safety switch, but it’s pretty hard to get good access to it. 😳

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Yes it's kinda a pain have to work mostly from under the car.

Kingdom934

Reaction score

I've heard that the gear indicator (i.e. the cluster gear light selection) is on a different circuit than the reverse light switch, so even though the gear indicator might show 'R' lit up, the reverse circuit could still not be triggered from the NSS?

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Not that I know of, the PRNDL display gets all inputs from the NSS, and the reverse lights the same. I've never had one fail where the reverse lights didn't work though, only a no start condition. I did have a bad NSS (dirty) where D and N would light up at the same time.