Speaker Upgrade

CamGuy01

Reaction score

I need some to confirm for me that I am not going crazy. A year ago I replaced the factory stereo in my 01 Camry and am really happy with the new unit. I am not thinking about replacing the rear speakers and have been looking at how to do it. It seems pretty straightforward and I think I can do it from the back seat or the trunk but after a conversation I had with Crutchfield now I am not sure.

I got my new stereo from Crutchfield and have bought from them for years. I was talking with one of their Salesman last week about speakers and I asked him how hard was it to get at the rear speakers which are 6 x 9. He sent me an email with some diagrams and from the diagrams it looks like a night mare. His diagrams show me having to have to drop the fold down seatback in the back of my car and then remove the sides that cover the upper strut mounts and I just can't make sense of this. i am thinking all I have to do it remove some nute/screws from the speakers by getting in the trunk and then the speakers drop down into the truck or I pull them up from inside the car.

Basically my question is who is right? Me or the Crutchfield Salesman? Thanks all.

corolapete

Reaction score

Your actually lucky that on the older car such as yours is not as bad as my 2010 corolla which I have to remove almost every plastic thing in the back. I was happy with the stock speaker but it is torn and so distorted that I had to replace it. On your camry you just have to remove the 2 upper plastic side panel then you unscrew child anchor points. Not sure what else you have to unscrew after that. The days of removing the speaker you describe especially on toyota is no longer the case. Why toyota makes it difficult I don't know. I should say that toyota did not design their rear because of sound system. I hope I don't have to replace my jbl speakers on my camry.

It used to be easy to replace speakers. 25 minute work but now its 2 hours. I am also not sure if camry needs a bracket for their speakers. My corolla need brackets but I cut out my old speakers to use as brackets. Toyota puts toy speakers on their corollas. :)

CamGuy01

Reaction score

@corolapete I'm not understanding why I have to remove the 2 plastic side panels and why do I have to unscrew the child seat anchors just to replace my rear speakers. I looked in the trunk of my car and it looks like all I have to do is either unscrew the bolts holding the speakers in and then the speakers either drop down or I pull them up from inside my car? Can you give me further guidance on this?? Thanks.

CamGuy01

Reaction score

@corolpete I just looked up a video on YouTube and you are correct. replacing the rear speakers is a real PITA! Here is the video for anyone who is curious.

corolapete

Reaction score

@corolapete I'm not understanding why I have to remove the 2 plastic side panels and why do I have to unscrew the child seat anchors just to replace my rear speakers. I looked in the trunk of my car and it looks like all I have to do is either unscrew the bolts holding the speakers in and then the speakers either drop down or I pull them up from inside my car? Can you give me further guidance on this?? Thanks.
Let’s just be thankful to toyota for not making us drop the rear end and gas tank. Even my speaker hole is not standard. Imagine that. :)

foxtherouge

Reaction score

corolapete

Reaction score

^ wow adapter on camry? I thought it was only on a corolla. Crazy

foxtherouge

Reaction score

The stock speaker use this weird 3 bolt pattern, thats why.

paulbot

Reaction score

If you ordered from Crutchfield using their menu for your specific car they would have included both mounting bracket and speaker plug adapter. And they'll email you a .pdf on how to replace the speakers. And yes our Camry's are the pits for replacing rear deck speakers. On my 2017, I had to tear out the back seat and all trim to get the deck cover off just to unplug the crappy "subwoofer" and plug it into a 10" sub enclosure.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Anyone ever use speakers by this company?

I have two of them I bought at the salvage yard they sound phenomenal going by testing them on the bench, but don't fit any of my cars. I think what I have are an older version of these

paulbot

Reaction score

I've seen them for sale at Crutchfield, they are in the higher end of speakers. Never heard them in person, though. I would hunt down an adapter and install them in the car that needs better speakers. Good find!

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Push comes to shove, make a speaker box for them to fit into whatever car you want. Where there is a will there is a way lol

paulbot

Reaction score

Now you've made me go out and start on my es300 rear door speakers. I've been having a set of Kenwood 6.5's to put in to complete my car. Since the wife's 2017 is done, I can get to mine!

Started on it, had to hunt down wiring diagram for the 2001 ES300. I'll post them here for future reference.

Attachments

corolapete

Reaction score

Anyone ever use speakers by this company?

I have two of them I bought at the salvage yard they sound phenomenal going by testing them on the bench, but don't fit any of my cars. I think what I have are an older version of these
When I was looking for speakers for my corolla I came across this brand. I think they are a good brand but not sure about anything else. I forgot what else I read about it. The funny thing is that when I read about the brand the following week I saw it in an airport shuttle bus.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

When I was looking for speakers for my corolla I came across this brand. I think they are a good brand but not sure about anything else. I forgot what else I read about it. The funny thing is that when I read about the brand the following week I saw it in an airport shuttle bus.
The ones I have are 5" to too small or too big for any location in my cars. Too bad I'd like to install them and listen for a few weeks. But even on the bench I can tell right away they are excellent speakers.

paulbot

Reaction score

They'll fit in your 01 es300 in the back doors. Just got through pulling one side off, the stock speakers are 5 1/2. I'll take some measurements on the other side. The 6 1/2's I tried to install were slightly too big for the opening, after some creative engineering I got the left side in.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

They'll fit in your 01 es300 in the back doors.
Hmmm interesting. BTW what is a reliable way to pull the window switches? There is a clip on the front that is difficult to get to I'm afraid of damaging the finish especially since I have the maple trim hard to find nice replacements.

paulbot

Reaction score

BTW what is a reliable way to pull the window switches?
I don't know. It's a clip on the rear, hook on the front. I broke the back clip on the left side. I'll see about the right side.

edit- here's a pic of the front of the switch assembly. a small flat screwdriver can be inserted under the front in the slot, push the clip back and raise the front. The rear has a stationary plastic clip that slides forward after you raise the front.rearwindowswitchjpg.jpg

Last edited:

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't know. It's a clip on the rear, hook on the front. I broke the back clip on the left side. I'll see about the right side.
That's what I'm trying to avoid I pulled a few at the wreckers to get a feel for it, wasn't easy.

paulbot

Reaction score

Broke the back one too but I did get a good pic of how I should do it. Not too worried about it, it's my daily beater car by now.