Sultan The V6

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Massive visual improvement how is the light output?
I have yet to drive at night yet however I can see my lights on peoples bumpers and on signs a lot better. Haven't had much time to aim them properly yet, I did a basic aiming when I installed them.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Very nice. I tried to find a DRL module for my '87 on Ebay but failed so I made my own, the logic is charge light on key on no DRL, key on charge light off DRL is active. That way it only lights with the engine running (avoids power draw on start). Also the parking brake kills DRL power so you can start the car but not have them come on. As soon as the parking brake is released DRL power latches and won't go out until the engine is shut off.

Complicated. :sneaky: but that's how the DRL logic in my Lexus works so I copied it.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Got a link to the LEDs you used? Been looking for something drop-in for beatercam. For my V6 I used the Philips 9003/HB4 LED since it's a '99 and has the dual-filament bulbs; they work great. Haven't found something in 9005/9006

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

LEDs are a tricky thing what works in one housing perfectly could be horrible in another. For your application I don't know what is a good match but you usually want an LED bulb that places the emitters in the exact location of the original halogen filament especially for your housing type/design. Almost none do this. This is what I have in my gen2s.
Says no longer available too bad they work great in my housing but they do not have the fluted pattern in the bowl (like yours) instead in the glass lens. I tried several different types before I found this one is gives a near perfect beam pattern. I got lucky.

This is probably the best LED bulb out there, yea expensive but you won't need to buy bulbs again. For your Gen4 best bet is a projector retrofit then you have many options of LED or HID, HID with DRL rings, strips etc. I can't do that on my gen2 because the glass lens is glued permanently to the housing it can't be removed without destroying everything. I tried. On the plus side glass never yellows and I have plastic covers (aftermarket option at the time) so no worries of rock chips or breakage.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Got a link to the LEDs you used? Been looking for something drop-in for beatercam. For my V6 I used the Philips 9003/HB4 LED since it's a '99 and has the dual-filament bulbs; they work great. Haven't found something in 9005/9006

They have adjustable bases so you can turn them to the exact position you need. They put the LED in the same place as the filament from a halogen so depth is already taken care of. I've used this brand in other cars and had no issues at all. They stay relatively cool even after several hours of use at once.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I see LED tech has improved a fair bit since I bought last (3 years ago).

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

...these are what I got for my '99 V6. Work amazing in the stock assemblies, as well as a '96 T100 I work on sometimes. Also in gen1 Tacomas...I have the gen1 Philips H4 LEDs as well, which I used to test the beam pattern and stuff before buying the gen2 - they also work great in the Toyotas I listed, but suck bad in my Insight.

LEDs are a tricky thing what works in one housing perfectly could be horrible in another. For your application I don't know what is a good match but you usually want an LED bulb that places the emitters in the exact location of the original halogen filament especially for your housing type/design. Almost none do this. This is what I have in my gen2s.
Says no longer available too bad they work great in my housing but they do not have the fluted pattern in the bowl (like yours) instead in the glass lens. I tried several different types before I found this one is gives a near perfect beam pattern. I got lucky.

This is probably the best LED bulb out there, yea expensive but you won't need to buy bulbs again. For your Gen4 best bet is a projector retrofit then you have many options of LED or HID, HID with DRL rings, strips etc. I can't do that on my gen2 because the glass lens is glued permanently to the housing it can't be removed without destroying everything. I tried. On the plus side glass never yellows and I have plastic covers (aftermarket option at the time) so no worries of rock chips or breakage.
fox, I might try those out...adjustable bases sounds great and the price is right. Been running Philips and Hella, whichever ships from the same warehouse on RockAuto at the time (personally like the Hellas better).

Last edited:

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Just keep in mind that the base rotates only, but the LED placement should be in the right depth anyway.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Well I got the high beam bulbs in finally. Didn't take a picture as I'm sure you get the idea. Now my headlights are fully LED and I just need to wire the ring. I'll get around to it eventually.

I also got my windows tinted. Just the basic 35% though.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Once you go LED you'll never go back makes the car look and feel so much more modern.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

For me depends on the car. I had both LED and HID on Blue Bomber and greatly disliked it. Doesn't suit it at all. I doubt the clean white would suit Dabbing Unicorn too. However on the wifes ZX2, I did a full HID projector retrofit and it is a world better.

On the Camry however, it works wonders. Same when I put the LED bulbs I have for the rest of the lights. Just haven't gotten around to it. It's always the easiest things we put off eh?

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Rear speaker decided to finally crap out yesterday. After 19 years it is time to upgrade the stock speakers. I put in the ones I had in Monty and I gotta say, that JBL amp really makes them a lot better sounding. Also swapped the tail light bulbs with the LED ones I had before. I said screw it and just pulled the light out bulb from the cluster. Ironically enough the bulb behind the D was out and thanks to the light out it no longer is.

No pictures, y'all know what this stuff looks like.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I did the same on all of gen2's no more light out warning bulb. What's funny is LEDs have turned out to be less reliable than the ancient filament bulbs.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Old LED are unreliable, as are cheap ones. But a good quality LED will last a very long time.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I've had so many LEDs die on me. Yea they are all cheap but that's what is out there for the most part especially T5 ant T10 LEDs. Had good luck with my headlights though none of them have failed.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I feel like all LED bulbs have been evolving over the years, getting better and more efficient. However, T10 bulbs just have NOT changed a single bit. I remember nearly a decade ago when I did the cluster lights on my 86 Celica, same bulbs then as they are now. It's kinda sad.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I share your frustration. I don't mind what's out there but most keep dying on me about the only ones that haven't are those ones with the silicone blob around them. There is one other exception I'm running some Philips Xtreme 1157's they are are legit.