Sultan The V6

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't think the 1MZ uses the split style nut (exhaust manifold) those generally come off clean.

edit- bad phrasing the split nuts have a habit of binding up, which is the point of the design.

Last edited:

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Damn, maybe I should have tried to collect unemployment...since I haven't had a "real" job in about 3 years save for contract work. I need the y-pipe cat for Camurai...and there are no aftermarket options for the NY-spec V6 manual. OE is $1800+shipping from dealer discount sites.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

"discount"

Who at Toyota decided it was a good idea to make the cat and pipe welded as one piece?

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Damn, maybe I should have tried to collect unemployment...since I haven't had a "real" job in about 3 years save for contract work. I need the y-pipe cat for Camurai...and there are no aftermarket options for the NY-spec V6 manual. OE is $1800+shipping from dealer discount sites.
You would have been accepted for the PUA on Unemployment due to "hardships" from the virus. Ironically, we got a letter from Unemployment that stated " your employer moved your work site. The move made your commute harder. The commute wasn’t normal for your type of work and where you live. " She went from driving 20-30 minutes down south of us to....her office next to our bedroom lol. That's why she was approved hahahahahaha

"discount"

Who at Toyota decided it was a good idea to make the cat and pipe welded as one piece?
Obviously Toyota's welder, duh.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Got some stuff.

Replaced the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs while I was there. No more leak as far as I can tell. I did add 2 washers to each bolt before tightening them down. Installed OBX headers but I guess I didn't tighten the rear manifold very tight as two of the bottom nuts came off. It also did not come with the EGR pipe so I made blocking plates for it. Only codes it throws is for lean bank due to the leak.

I have a few things to install. Found some wind visors to put on which will be nice so I can open my window in the rainy season. Also got new KYB struts to install soon. Not quickstruts. And finally got heated side mirrors but it turns out instead of having either a 5 flat or 6 rectangle I have a 3 flat. So gonna have to run some wires to it.

Pictures later.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

No EGR code?

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Not yet at least. It's been a week and the only thing I have gotten was a P0171 once and it went away on it's own. Which makes sense due to where my leak is.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Got wind visors a few weeks ago and finally got around to installing them. I waited because I got a new garage! Over twice as large as the last one. Last one I could fit 2 Celicas in there barely and nothing else. It was labeled as a 1 car garage. This new one is huge and can fit 4 cars according to the description. Went from 16x20 feet to 18x35 feet. Moving everything over today including Cherry so I'll have 2 Celica in there at once, probably next to each other for now. I'll take pictures later of that.

Here are before pictures without visors. Car was on ramps to tighten some nuts on the rear exhaust manifold. I hadn't tightened them enough.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I haven't really done anything over the past few months on Sultan except drive him. I did pick up a set of winter tires and wheels since winter around here has gotten more wintery I guess. Found a set of wheels with pretty new tires for $200 and can't complain. Conveniently, they are about the right size for winter tires too. They are steel wheels off of a truck or SUV but they bolt up and clear no issue. I am content. They are drying right now as I just cleaned them and I will be painting them probably Monday ish.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

That's an aggressive tread.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Well they are winter tires so...

Anyway. I painted them a gold/bronze ish color. I also have silver hubcaps to go on them. This way when they are installed they look decent.

They are probably going on tomorrow so I can let them dry for a day first before fiddling with them.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Those turned out great.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

And it is cold enough to put on my winter set so I did this morning! I love the way they turned out. After riding on them for a few miles already they do have a small amount of road noise but they grip and handle amazing. The car itself feels more responsive in the corners which I was not expecting as the tires on my 16's are only a year old and have about 8,000 miles on them.

I do have some stick on Toyota emblems I might put on the hubcaps later.

I love how the gold pokes through the silver enough to where it actually looks good.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Those turned out great.
They have 3 layers of self etching primer, 6 layers of color, and 3 layers of clear. Each layer from a different side. I have no idea when or where I got it from just that I've had it for ages and never used it, but I have one of these:

They make it a lot easier to spray so much. All in all that's about 48 layers of paint in total. It took about half a can of primer, almost an entire can of paint but one of the tall ones, and about half a can of clear. I am actually thinking of painting BB's wheels the same color but with more layers of clear to make it shine better.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Aren't you worried about the paint shrinking and cracking? I've had that happen when I put too many layers too quickly at least I think that's what happened.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

I have never had an issue before. When I paint in the cold like it has been I keep them near a heater to dry them. Instead of spraying a layer every few minutes like the cans suggest I wait about 15 minutes per layer and half an hour between changing from one type to the next. Takes a lot longer to paint but I've never had issues. I also let them dry for over a day by the heater so they are essentially baked on already.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

This happened when I used custom mixed paint in a spray bomb, maybe that's why.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

Cosmofennema (Other forum) sent me some mudguards and a center console cover since mine was missing the guards and the cover needed replacing. Haven't gotten around to the console yet but I did install the mudguards. It's simple and OEM but still a nice addition. Will greatly help with keeping grime and slush off the side of the car.

Also, I had a remote start with a 1 mile 2 way remote installed. With the auto climate control, the car is a nice 72 degrees when I get in now.