Swap transaxle?

89CamryLEblue

Reaction score

I got a transaxle shipped from a junkyard, the VIN shows it came off a 1989 automatic camry 6 cylinder. Mine is an 89 4 cylinder automatic. It seems to be the same except the splines on output CV shaft are different. The first pic shows the splines on 6 cylinder trans the 2nd is my 4 cylinder shaft and 3rd is the 4 cylinder splines. My 4 cylinder CV shaft will not fit the 6 cylinder trans so to use this 6 cylinder can I just get a 6 cylinder CV shaft? Everything else bolts up correctly, I think it will work. Any body ever tried this or know?

Attachments

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't know anyone that has put the A540 on a 3S engine. In theory if you use the V6 axles you'll it should work only caveat might spacing, in other words is the tranny sitting in the same place as in the V6 car.

89CamryLEblue

Reaction score

I don't know anyone that has put the A540 on a 3S engine. In theory if you use the V6 axles you'll it should work only caveat might spacing, in other words is the tranny sitting in the same place as in the V6 car.
I've found a web site that gives dimensions of both v6 and L4 CV axles, so I will check if they are the same. My concern was trans module and shifting points between the 2 engines, whether the engine and trans would be on same shift for acceleration and rpm points. Any thoughts on that?

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

IMy concern was trans module and shifting points between the 2 engines, whether the engine and trans would be on same shift for acceleration and rpm points. Any thoughts on that?
As long as you can hook everything up electrically the transmission will shift when the computer tells it to, so it will shift the same. One thing to keep in mind the A540E is a heavier duty unit to in theory will require more power to drive it. I don't know if that is actually the case though. The V6 axles on the transmission side are definitely different and I would guess the carrier bearing mount (RH side axle) is also different.

To make this work will need the V6 axles for sure, but those axles bolt up to the inner stubs so you need those as well. If you don't know what I mean I'll post some diagrams.

89CamryLEblue

Reaction score

Got another question, I couldn't find the correct CV axle for this 6 cylinder transaxle. Everything is 26 splines, I need 24. Found another transaxle this time it came out of a 4 cylinder but the CV axle is a bolt in type. Can I use my slip in axle on this?

As long as you can hook everything up electrically the transmission will shift when the computer tells it to, so it will shift the same. One thing to keep in mind the A540E is a heavier duty unit to in theory will require more power to drive it. I don't know if that is actually the case though. The V6 axles on the transmission side are definitely different and I would guess the carrier bearing mount (RH side axle) is also different.

To make this work will need the V6 axles for sure, but those axles bolt up to the inner stubs so you need those as well. If you don't know what I mean I'll post some diagrams.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Yes, you can use one piece axles instead of the bolt on 2-piece they are interchangeable. If the replacement transaxle came with the right hand side bracket then you simply slide the axle/bearing into the bracket also known as the carrier. If not then you'll need to remove the inner stub from your carrier bracket so you can pass in the new axle.

I highly recommend you keep the 2-piece axle system it makes replacing them WAY easier you'll thank yourself in the future.
Got another question, I couldn't find the correct CV axle for this 6 cylinder transaxle. Everything is 26 splines, I need 24. Found another transaxle this time it came out of a 4 cylinder but the CV axle is a bolt in type. Can I use my slip in axle on this?

89CamryLEblue

Reaction score

T
Yes, you can use one piece axles instead of the bolt on 2-piece they are interchangeable. If the replacement transaxle came with the right hand side bracket then you simply slide the axle/bearing into the bracket also known as the carrier. If not then you'll need to remove the inner stub from your carrier bracket so you can pass in the new axle.

I highly recommend you keep the 2-piece axle system it makes replacing them WAY easier you'll thank yourself in the future.
Thanks for info. The new 4 cylinder trans only came with the bracket (carrier?) for the left side axle. The right side is out, so I only have 1 two piece setup for the left side and not both. You're right, it looks a lot easier to R&R cv axles with the brackets.