The Tire Thread

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Welp, let's start a tire thread and I'll keep it updated with a list of the best/worst once we get some data.

I'll start. When I swapped powertrains on beatercam, I also swapped my steelies for the alloy rims from the donor, which were equipped with nearly-new Milestars. They were an OK tire for the first 6k miles, nothing to complain about. But our rainy season in the Bay Area just started, and godDAMN...they spin on light takeoffs on barely wet asphalt. Granted, they're all-seasons, but my Kumhos never did any spinning on takeoff.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

I bought a car that came with a set of Multi Mile tires, yea you've likely never heard of them. I assume they are a low end brand but were good tires no issues.

Currently on a set of Michelin X-ice Xi3 can't say anything bad about them except they are a bit expensive. VERY quiet tire zero tread noise and they grip like crazy on ice and snow. They feel weird in warm weather due to the soft rubber compounds.

Wagon is running Pirelli Cinturato P7 people rave about these tires I find them good but not great, average tire for the price.

General Altimax RT43 is a supposedly a good tire for the price might try them next purchase. Silver car came with Goodyear Assurance Comfortred (what's with these names?) excellent tire if you want a quiet and smooth ride. They are a bit squishy so not for a car you want to drive hard.

I have a very very old set of Michelin X-ice I mount them when I store a car for the winter, these tires refuse to wear out, made in Japan. Still no sidewall cracks they were made in 2002 or about there. I try to find tires made in the U.S. if possible but not many are anymore.

User Is Online
User Is Online

corolapete

Reaction score

I drive my car till they are slick tires or the metal showing. LOL I never had problems with stock tires either. I have tried every brand like yokohama high mileage , goodyear, michelin, falken trash. I buy my tires for $50 to $60 a piece or less. The one so far that treated me well is the cooper tire high mileage.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Hm, I've heard enough about the Altimax that I'll try them next time instead of Kumhos. I pay $55 installed for Kumho Solus.

User Is Online
User Is Online

corolapete

Reaction score

They have so many brands now its hard to follow. I am sticking with american brand tires. Not that they are good. :)

Last edited:

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

They have so many brands now its hard to follow. I am sticking with american brand tires. Not that they are good. :)
I've been tempted to try the cheapest Chinese tires around. :rolleyes: 😃

User Is Online
User Is Online

corolapete

Reaction score

I've been tempted to try the cheapest Chinese tires around. :rolleyes: 😃
Let us know how that goes. :)

Watch out for low thread tires too. I spun 180 getting on the freeway on my 240 going 20mph. As they say don't try this at home leave it to the expert.LOL Lucky there was no one behind me. As soon as I spun I let the gas go.

CamGuy01

Reaction score

Thanks to ISB for starting this thread. This is a good thread and definitely will have value. With all the tires out on the market there is no such things as too much information.

My 01 Camry had BFG's on when I bought it and IMO they were good tires. Quiet, good ride, good grip, gripped in the rain, the whole 9 yards. Unfortunately the alignment and suspension on my car had some serious issues and I was too late in correcting them and the tires got eaten up. I looked around at all of my options and was horrified when I saw how expensive tires have become. I am on a fixed income and have to make my dollars go just as far as they can so as much as I might have wanted them that left tires like Michelin, Kumho, Bridgestone, Yokohama, and a few others off my list which meant I was now looking at house brand tires.

I have used the Primewell tires which Firestone sells and have had good success with them. I also looked at tires from National Tire and Battery (NTB). I have never liked tires from the Pep Boys so they were not on my list and we don't have Discount Tire in my area. I finally decided on the Epic Tour All Season tires from NTB and so far I think I ht a home run with them. They cost $45 per tire and since I am over 60 and a Veteran the Manager gave me a good discount on mounting and balancing. They have a good, quiet ride, grip very well IMO, and also grip in the rain which never having used these tires was a huge concern of mine. The tires now have 10,000 miles on them and I just rotated them and so far they are doing well. I'll keep everyone advised but I don't anticipate any issues with these tires. Thanks all.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I'm wondering about Epictours...Chinese tire but I have them on my non-running (for a few years now) Taurus. I don't think I'll get a chance to try them out because one had a slow leak, then leaked out completely and sat like that for a year which put a big rip in the sidewall. Maybe I'll replace all four with the same just to try, once I get it running.

Thanks to ISB for starting this thread. This is a good thread and definitely will have value. With all the tires out on the market there is no such things as too much information.

My 01 Camry had BFG's on when I bought it and IMO they were good tires. Quiet, good ride, good grip, gripped in the rain, the whole 9 yards. Unfortunately the alignment and suspension on my car had some serious issues and I was too late in correcting them and the tires got eaten up. I looked around at all of my options and was horrified when I saw how expensive tires have become. I am on a fixed income and have to make my dollars go just as far as they can so as much as I might have wanted them that left tires like Michelin, Kumho, Bridgestone, Yokohama, and a few others off my list which meant I was now looking at house brand tires.

I have used the Primewell tires which Firestone sells and have had good success with them. I also looked at tires from National Tire and Battery (NTB). I have never liked tires from the Pep Boys so they were not on my list and we don't have Discount Tire in my area. I finally decided on the Epic Tour All Season tires from NTB and so far I think I ht a home run with them. They cost $45 per tire and since I am over 60 and a Veteran the Manager gave me a good discount on mounting and balancing. They have a good, quiet ride, grip very well IMO, and also grip in the rain which never having used these tires was a huge concern of mine. The tires now have 10,000 miles on them and I just rotated them and so far they are doing well. I'll keep everyone advised but I don't anticipate any issues with these tires. Thanks all.

User Is Online
User Is Online

corolapete

Reaction score

I'm wondering about Epictours...Chinese tire but I have them on my non-running (for a few years now) Taurus. I don't think I'll get a chance to try them out because one had a slow leak, then leaked out completely and sat like that for a year which put a big rip in the sidewall. Maybe I'll replace all four with the same just to try, once I get it running.
Once sidewalk is compromised it’s over and believe me I tried every way to make it last. Lol. The tire linings to are now very thin Being poor in college has an adavantage.

Last edited: