Trouble With Gas Door

CamGuy01

Reaction score

This might be a strange thing to post here but I have posted some strange stuff in the past so I figure I can't do much worse so here goes.

My 2001 XV20 Camry has a door that covers the gas cap and filler neck. The door is tensioned by a bent piece of metal that is supposed to open the door when a release lever is pulled inside the car. The gas door has never worked right in the 3 years I have had the car. One in every 3 times I have to get gas the door opens and the other 2 times I have to push a folder piece of paper into the top of the gas door where it closes into the rear panel to get it to open. Today I was lubricating the door locks on my car with a Teflon lubricant that I use and I thought I would put a little on the gas door hinge in case it is binding and not opening fully which I did and it did nothing. I then started looking at the bent piece of metal at the rear of the gas door which is supposed to push the door out when the release lever is pulled. I was trying to figure out how the metal strip is supposed to work and which way to bend to to get more spring on it so it will open the gas door when I pull the release lever. I fiddled with it for about 30 minutes an dat one point really messed it up to the point where the gas door wouldn't open at all when I pulled the release lever. I finally got it open and reversed what I did to the metal strip and got the gas door to open but now I have to use the wadded paper every time and this is very annoying. I know I have mentioned before in this Forum that my car was in a collision on the drivers side rear panel before I bought it and I have a feeling whoever did the body work just slapped the gas door on without bothering to align it or make sure the metal strip worked correctly.

Has anyone ever had to make a gas door on an XV20 Camry work properly and can give me some tips on what I am supposed to be doing? Maybe @insightbrewery or @71Corolla ? Thanks all and I hope everyone is well.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Maybe you just need to replace the spring? I think I had it snap on my 1987 at one point. Also put a bit of silicone lube on the plastic striker plate helps it close nicely.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

77360-33020 is about $7 at a local dealer, in case you have PTSD from using Dorman parts.

CamGuy01

Reaction score

When I was lubricating the door hinge I saw that black piece and did not know what it was. It looked 1 dimensional as if it had broken. I will check it out tomorrow morning. Thanks.

foxtherouge

Reaction score

It sounds dumb but you did check the cable itself right? It can stretch as it gets old and has an adjustment nut on it.

CamGuy01

Reaction score

Maybe you just need to replace the spring? I think I had it snap on my 1987 at one point. Also put a bit of silicone lube on the plastic striker plate helps it close nicely.

@71Corolla thanks for the photo. That helped a lot and yes the spring did break off and in the 3 years I have been driving the car I never knew it. I went to the Toyota Dealer and bought a new spring and unfortunately broke it trying to get it on because I was not sure what I was doing. When I went back to the dealer to get another spring the Parts Guy recognized me and said "broke it didn't you; don't feel bad a lot of guys do." The second Spring went on fine and now I have a fuel door that works as it should. Thanks everyone.