What did you do to your Gen1/Gen2 Camry today?

What generation Camry do you own?

• 1st generation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Noice. Yeah I use the Redline grease on the off-chance that I'm doing boots, it's good stuff. Those clamps really are great, making me hate the usual Oetiker clamps.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Oetiker clamps.
They are the devil. That's what you come up with when you want to torture people. 😬

So I'll buy a set of boots for the other side since that axle is also original the boots are probably on borrowed time. Any tips to doing this job with no greasy mess? Or is that possible. What tool are you supposed to use to put the snap ring back in? Snap ring pliers were worthless it kept slipping off I ended up making my own tool out of long nose pliers, drilled a hole and threaded in a bolt to keep tension on the pliers.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

That looks like exactly the right tool. Quite pricey and they say "ships in 6-10 days" hardly anyone buying them I suspect. Here's the tool I made it works good enough I guess, but one slip and ping the snap ring goes into orbit.

So I had a key cut at Toyota for the silver '90 then modded it to fit in the remote housing. Wish there was an easier way than cutting and filing by hand.

71Corolla

Site Founder
Super Moderator
Administrator
Reaction score

Replaced a torn RH steering rack boot on the silver '90.

Jam nut came off easy, crescent wrench and a hammer does the trick

Added some Redline CV-2 because I can. Inner tie rod is still tight they don't seem to wear on these cars

New/used boot

Here's why I need front rotors these are the originals I tried to clean them up and sand the surface, they were badly rusted as the car sat for some time. It kinda worked but the pads did not bed in properly.

insightbrewery

short-throw dipstick
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Dang, that rotor. Best of luck finding a replacement that isn't garbage.

I like to use a bit thinner, tackier grease for inner tie rods - my go-to is BMW P/N 83232208093, 100g tube is about $18 USD. Works great, stays a long time. About to do the same (ripped rack boots) on a 2001 330xi (unicorn car: big motor, manual, and AWD) and reupped on that grease.